Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Yipes!

Today on Channel Five (again)

The Christmas Takeover (1998)
A neglected son writes to Santa pleading to see more of his tycoon father. Comedy drama, starring Harry Hamlin, Megan Gallagher, Stuart Pankin, Roy Dotrice and Gary Coleman.

I know it goes against logic, but I am so hoping that the tycoon father is played by Gary Coleman... oh wait, or maybe he plays Santa!

As for my assignment to write about American attitudes towards money, I think it may be difficult. I have spent so much of my time here complaining how damned expensive everything is, it would seem a bit false if suddenly I was to say that money was no object. HOWEVER when I get back to New York tomorrow, I will be spending money like it's water (and not that fancy sparkling water). Shit, I'll be buying hardboiled eggs buy the dozen, tossing them up in the air and then rolling around on them. Ouch!

And I think that a good example of America's complete abandon when it comes to money is the fine film mentioned above. Somebody- poor misguided soul- clearly had to spend money on that. Okay, not that MUCH money, I doubt Gary Coleman is able to command a huge salary, but still. Was it necessary? Did it do anything but provide fodder for cheesy blogs? No. But it happened, and it continues to be played on tv channels in Britain, so I SUPPOSE it was an achievement of sorts.

So, you see Americans are some of the biggest money wasters in the world! Merrrrrry Christmas! Ho Ho HO!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that Harry Hamlin washes his dishes with Evian and uses Belgian lace for toilet paper. He can afford to though, cause he pulls in a sweet sum for his made-for-tv movie work. He's sort of my role model for someone who has achieved this American dream of ours. Bravo, Harry!!

3:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home