Bad Dream
I know there is nothing more boring than hearing about other people's dream (my mother went through a phase of telling me her dream everyday, and I hated it) BUT I have been having really realistic dreams about returning to college. I mean REALLY realistic. Last night I dreamt that I was back at Oberlin as a 'mature' student, living in the dorms. It was way too close to a certain woman who lived in my dornm freshman year, with a big Zena The warrior Princess poster on her door, who would send campus-wide emails about how people should wash their hands, and wore plaid boxers year-round. Elnie, you KNOW who I am talking about, and I am not posting her name because I fear that she would happen upon it while googling herself (ew) and come to Scotland and find me and shake me like a rag doll. She was a large woman.
Anyway, the dreams I have been having up until last night have mostly foucused on feverish panic and trying to get signatures to change my major (from Studio Art to Eastern European Political Studies) and my failure to do so, which then for no reason in particular, results in my being forced to be a Dance major and perform Contact Improv (basically rolling around on the ground in pajamas with a bunch of sweaty hippies) on Main Street (or East College Street, as the case may be).
Now, a few years back I had an AWESOME return to college dream, where I made a comeback Rodney Dangerfield style and kind of rocked the campus for a while: I made Gibson's into a Bohemian coffeehouse (and NOT bohemian as in 'I am wearing many bracelets and a dress that is actually a sack, but Bohemian as in 'I have a cellar full of potatos and I may or may not be drunk off my ass on home-made elderberry wine that I will drink from a flask made from a goat's spleen') and did many other inspiring and vaguely socipathic things. So, it was a great dream, and I woke up really sad that it was not real.
BUT last night my dream mostly invloved wearing turtlenecks, pajama bottoms and other unflattering clothes (like the leather trenchcoats seen on many comic book/ anime fans) and walking briskly to the AV room to renew my VHS copy of the first season of Babylon 5. Yes, that's right, my worst nightmare: I was the world's hugest geek and I had no friends.
I think this has to be caused by stress. Except for the fact that I do absolutely nothing at my job. I am at my job right now, as I write this. It's not a very high-octane office. The most exciting thing that has happened so far is that two of the women I work with are wearing the same skirt. Holy shit. It's mortifying.
Oh, and we got a new coffeemaker, which nobody knows how to use, so everyone is still using the instant coffee, while the new, shiny Krups thing sits cold and dark. Honestly, this place spends so much money on NOTHING. Case in point: they are paying me.
Anyway, I am afraid that this trend of frightening 'I am now the self-same horrific nerd that I used to mock' dreams will continue. Is it karmic paypack? I never did anything THAT awful, I don't think. I welcome suggestions for how to control my dreams.


6 Comments:
Zena= Xena
paypack=payback
And that's for starters FREEMAN!
1:40 PM
I would like to say how pleased I am with myself for NOT knowing the correct spelling of said Warrior Princess, and I would also like to formally bust Niall for not only KNOWING, but CARING! Youch! A hit, a very palpable hit!
3:22 PM
The mere mention of Xena Warrior Princess makes my hands clammy with recollections of 2am viewings of said show in the living room of J-house with a certain ne'er-do-well/ drummer/ one time friend. I think sometimes that other show with what's his name - Kevin Sorbo! I looked it up - was on too and there might be a double-feature.
Also, I realize I just wrote you an account of one of my dreams fairly recently...... are you trying to tell me something?
7:58 PM
Elnie, your dreams are fine. I was mostly talking about my mom... I am an ungrateful bitch! As for the Xena connection, that reminds me of a song... how does it go? Hmm, 'I got my tshirt and my panties on!'
3:51 PM
Yayyy! My favorite song!!!!
4:02 PM
Freeman, I checked on google and it returned both Xena and Zena, which to my mind means that YOU also know the correct spelling. HA! Take that (and party)!
11:34 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home